Camp Host Coordinator Ranger Catherine Donley
Phone (Office): 301-872-5688
Thank you for your interest in volunteering your time as a camp host at Point Lookout State Park! Our camp hosts are an invaluable part of our park operations. The dedication of our camp hosts allows us to maintain a welcoming and appealing campground for our visitors. Earn free camping by working 20 hours a week in the campground!
Camp Host Duties
• Clean campsites upon campers’ departure
• Remove ashes from fire rings and trash from sites
• Educate visitors concerning park regulations (trash-free parks, quiet hours, alcohol policy, etc.)
• Check and tidy up the bathhouse.
• Assist park staff with trash removal at beach area -Saturdays, Sundays, Holidays 7 PM (mandatory)
• Volunteer 20 hrs/week to maintain camp host status
• Cut grass / trim back invasive species (phragmites, etc.) in the campground
• Report hours to camp host coordinator or log them on the volunteer website
• Welcome new campers and assist in park operations
• Communicate with coordinator concerning your needs, or campground issues
• Be positive representatives of the Maryland Park Service and Point Lookout State Park!
In addition to regular duties, our camp hosts are encouraged to develop ideas to help improve the park. Camp hosts are some of our most valued volunteers, and their ideas and input are very welcome.
Some possibilities include:
• Campsite improvements
• Repair camp host equipment (if qualified) – lawnmowers, string trimmers, etc.
• Interpretive programs – assisting our naturalists with campfire programs, hikes, birding, scales, and tales
• presentations, etc.
• Invasive species management – with approval from camp host supervisor
• Let us know if you have any other skills or project ideas!