BLM provides the site host with:
- RV hook-up station – water, electricity, sewer, phone (local calls only).
- Subsistence: $240 per month.
- Incidental use of the learning center/shop is allowed on a very limited basis (i.e. washer/dryer, kitchen facilities, tools, etc.). See the New River ACEC Manager for permission prior to use. Storing personal items in any of the facilities is prohibited.
The site host is responsible for the following duties:
Visitor Services / Public Contact
- Open the learning center to the public on Saturday and Sunday and upon request during the week.
- Welcome visitors, provide information about the area, and inform them of the rules/regulations.
- Provide trail guides and surveys to the public. Encourage visitors to fill out and return surveys at the end of their visit.
- Occasionally assist with coordinating overnight-stays in the learning center for BLM-approved guests (providing keys, etc.).
- Record visitor-use levels during 10 specified days each month (monitoring forms will be provided).
- Check road counters daily (forms will be provided).
- Routinely clean facilities: three restrooms – daily, learning center – weekly, garage/shop – weekly (or as needed).
- Grounds-keeping – mow and edge lawn around learning center, restroom, kiosk, picnic area (as needed).
- Collect garbage from cans and place in totes and set out every other Wednesday for collection.
- Pick-up litter along roadways, parking areas, and boat launch as needed.
- Perform other minor maintenance tasks as requested by New River ACEC Manager.
Management Support / Site Security
- Inform BLM staff and law enforcement of violations, emergency needs, and other circumstances that require attention. The site host is not responsible for enforcement.
- Open and close the entrance gate on a daily basis (sunrise to sunset). The site host must make prior arrangements with the BLM if a situation arises when you are not on site overnight.