Wilderness Village Campground Association (WVCA)
Located across from Crimson Lake, the private campground, Wilderness Village Resort is a five star RV resort. WVCA Resort includes an array of recreational activities for members & guests, including a newly renovated pool, 3 washroom stations, playground area and dog leash free area. WVCA Resort is uniquely situated in Clearwater County and has an ATV staging area and trails directly from the campground. This is a debt free, member-owned campground association, operating year round (spring, summer, fall, winter) and provides the ultimate in recreational experience for all guests.
The General Manager, Wilderness Village Campground Association position is an ambassador of the WVCA. This position requires a high level of engagement, customer service and exceptional leadership abilities. Our General Manager is the ‘face’ of WVCA who oversees daily operations, directing a team of approximately 35-50 staff & students during peak season in the 400-site resort. This includes overseeing maintenance projects, security, finances, and membership relations to ensure a profitable and relaxing resort experience for all guests. This position requires a high level of engagement, customer services and exceptional leadership abilities. This is a year-round, full time position with a competitive salary and annual bonus structure.
Key responsibilities and expectations
- Leadership direction for the Assistant Manager & Supervisory staff to ensure everyone is informed with respect to priorities, plans, health, and safety: anything that impacts on work on a regular basis.
- Responsible for ensuring performance discussions, staff development & supportive performance management.
- Responsible for staffing levels including, determining on a seasonal basis, the number of staff, rates of pay, hours of work & schedules, and number of volunteers to meet operational requirements that best suit members’ needs. Delegates hiring decision to designated supervisor of that area as appropriate.
- Guides, mentors, and works with staff to resolve challenges, promotes, and maintains an engaged work culture and mentor the importance of customer relations.
- Orchestrates and supervises capital projects/renovations and operational projects.
- Responsible for the overall financial health of WVCA including operating budget oversight, capital project planning and unforeseen financial needs.
- Approves minor capital and operating budget expenditures [i.e., payroll, overtime payments, accounts payables].
- Monthly budget planning, updates to Board of Directors and financial transparency for membership.
- Designated signing authorities for banking, purchasing and legal purposes.
- Prepares tenders and oversees large scale capital projects and renovations, meeting regularly with contractors to ensure that time and budgetary targets are being met.
Marketing & Relationships:
- As the ambassador of WVCA, responsible for ensuring marketing material is accurate, up to date and developed according to the market demands (website, social media, print) and implements approved marketing plans to promote membership sales.
- Represents WVCA for interaction and any matters requiring interaction and/or presentation to the Town of
- Rocky Mountain House and Clearwater County, establishing relationships and strong rapport with businesses in each.
- Promotes WVCA as a venue of choice for campsite and cabin rentals.
- Approachable to members and listens to concerns or issues and seeks to diffuse situations so that everyone will enjoy their vacation experience.
- Conduct weekly inspections across all departments and areas for safety, cleanliness, appearance, and maintenance, including signage and direction in the park.
- Assists the Maintenance Department with general maintenance duties as required.
- Enforces WVCA Membership rules in respectful manner, in cooperation with Security Resort Patrol.
- Be available some weekends or evenings, to engage with membership, address concerns and respond to emergencies.
Safety & Security:
- Creates and maintains emergency protocols and shares with supervisors, ensures annual safety training completed.
- Readily available to respond to urgent staff inquires or unexpected issues that arise after hours and/or weekends [through cell phone access and/or text messaging].
- Conducts regular safety meetings, ensuring staff are aware of and following health protocols [e.g., COVID] safety requirements for the site, wearing appropriate PPE as required. Keeps a record of safety meetings conducted.
- Delegates emergency contacts and ensures staff know who may be reached.
- In urgent situations, be prepared to physically return to the Resort for emergency or serious situations.
- Reviews insurance policies to ensure adequate coverages, negotiate annual policy changes.
Board of Directors:
- Maintain regular and on-going contact with the Board of Directors, notably the Board President.
- Prepares Managers’ reports and relevant information for Board meetings.
- Consults with legal counsel and corporate accountant (independent auditor) as required.
- Leadership experience (minimum) 5 years and preferred 10+ years’ experience direct team supervision.
- Degree in business, tourism, or management would be an asset; or relevant professional experience is required.
- Mediation and conflict resolution skills as demonstrated by professional experience.
- Experience managing large capital projects of 5-10 years.
- Strong communication, verbally and written with aptitude for learning computer programs and ability to prepare reports, present information and organize information.
- Financial experience responsible for large operating budgets, or seasonal budgets as demonstrated by 5-10 years’ experience.
- Mechanical aptitude, previous experience working in technical / trades and/or relevant knowledge would be an asset.
- Previous experience in tourism/hospitality/service based companies would be a strong asset.
- Class 5 License ,drivers abstract is required.
- First Aid/CPR (or able to obtain & maintain current).
- Safety certification would be highly desirable.
- Vulnerable sector criminal background check certification is required.
Skills & Abilities:
- Require highly motivated and organized leader, demonstrated by professional experience.
- Excellent communication skills including patience, tolerance, and service focused leadership, demonstrated by professional experience. Written, oral and presentation skills are required.
- Innovative thinker who is able to make sound decisions in a timely manner and direct a large team, demonstrated by professional experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to establish rapport and trust, confirmed by references.
- Competent level of computer literacy and aptitude to learn new programs, familiarity with social media an asset.
- Ability to provide leadership, mentorship and to delegate duties and coach performance.
- Time spent in both office and outdoor environment including frequent exposure to varying weather conditions.
- Frequent exposure to wildlife, chemicals, odors, dust, pollens, insects, vegetation.
- Moderate to constant physical fitness level of activity, including the ability to lift up to 30-50 lbs. and continuously stand/walk.
- Perform a range of physical motions: standing, sitting, walking, crouching, bending, climbing, in uneven terrain on a frequent & daily basis.
- Must be able to wear PPE as required.
- Seasonal vacation restrictions apply during peak season (June, July, August) annually.
- Workdays may include weekends / evenings and on-call expectations, especially during peak-period.
- As WVCA is a Member owned campground, declaration of any conflict of interest would be required.
- Any current WVCA Members who apply for this position, would be in a conflict of interest and would be required to sell membership before commencing position, if selected.
- Applications open until 4pm Friday, February 18, 2022.
- Applicants may send your full resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and please, no phone calls.
- Applicants should include salary expectations and availability date to start the position.
We appreciate all applications; only qualified applicants will be contacted